Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Trying out an idea

My birthday's coming up next month. As a side effect, people are starting to ask me what I'd like for it. Like a good little bibliophile, my answer is, emphatically, "Books." And then comes the question, "But what specifically?"

Recently I saw the idea where someone, when having their own birthday party, asked their friends to bring their favorite book as a gift. I liked that idea. It builds your personal library, expands your own horizons with books you might not have considered. The givers get the fun of sharing their absolute all-time favorite book with someone. If I had more real life friends or was a party-throwing type, I'd do it. But I don't, and I'm not. Most of my friends are online. I'd be happy just to get recommendations for books.

And then I thought, "Well, you could do that on Pinterest."

So now I have my first open group board on Pinterest, here, based on the idea that anyone can join and pin books they recommend. Favorite books, their own books, books that aren't favorites but they really liked it, no preference. They can share it with a group of readers, discuss it, find people who liked it too. I'd like it to end up being an ever-growing library of recommendations. I'm still trying to settle on a name for it. I've tried:

  • Take a Book, Leave a Book
  • The Library of Favorites
  • and now The Expanding Library
Not 100% sold on any of those names, but I like the idea and hope I can generate interest in it. If you're on Pinterest and want an invite, just ask. I need to be able to answer "What do you want for your birthday?"

No comments:

Post a Comment